In January 2002 Castilla-La Mancha became responsible for the provision in this community of the health care services of the National Health Service. The Health Care Service of Castilla-La Mancha (SESCAM) was set up in the 8/2000 Castilla-La Mancha Act of 30 November, and its structure and functions were defined in the 1/2002 Decree of 8 January.
The Health Care Service of Castilla-La Mancha is integrated in the National Health Service and is based on international coverage, equality and public financing and its aim is to provide more modern, accessible, effective and better quality health care.
The SESCAM is an autonomous organisation associated with the Department of Health, totally independent and fully equipped so it can meet all its objectives.
The aim of the SESCAM is to provide accessible, convenient, quality health services; well-equipped services delivered by professionals who can work untroubled and provide their patients with the best care and treatment modern medicine can offer them.
As well as, to transform the SESCAM into:
- A modern, innovating organisation which provides public health services; the best local company and one of the best health organisations in Europe. This will be achieved by means of appropriate diagnosis and treatment, safety, accessibility, quickness, comfort, personal assistance and confidentiality, professional and social involvement, suitable relationship with providers and efficient management of public financing. An organisation capable of delivering good health services to all Castilla-La Mancha population and to all patients, as well as providing a steady, comfortable, stimulating working place for its professionals.
The SESCAM is structured as follows:
- Central Departments:
- Board of Directors.
- Managing Director.
- Other Departments reporting to the Managing Director: Technical Department, Health Care Department, Human Resources Department and Financial and Infrastructure Department.
- Local Departments:
- Primary Care Department.
- Secondary Care Department.
- Emergency, urgent care and ambulance service Department.
- SESCAM Provincial Service Offices.
- Puertollano Department